Disabled logo

Disabled Accessible Holidays

 Making Travel Easier Since 1995

GHICGlobal Health Insurance Card 
Replacing EIHC and the E111

The UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If you have a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a GHIC to replace it.

GHIC and EHIC do not replace travel insurance.

Where you can use your card ?

Visiting an EU country

You can use a GHIC or an EHIC if you’re travelling to an EU country.

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Visiting Switzerland

There are different rules for using your GHIC or EHIC card in Switzerland.

To use your GHIC or EHIC in Switzerland, you must be one of the following:

  • a British national
  • a Swiss national
  • an EU citizen
  • a refugee
  • a stateless person
  • the dependant or survivor of someone with one of these nationalities or statuses

Visiting Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

You cannot use a GHIC or an existing EHIC in Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. You’ll need Travel insurance with Healthcare cover.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a Pre-existing condition).

How to apply

You can apply for a GHIC on the NHS website.

It’s free to apply for a GHIC. Some websites charge to help you apply - these are unnecessary and you do not need to use them.

You’ll need to provide your:

  • Full name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance or NHS number (England and Wales)
  • CHI number (Scotland)
  • Health and Care number (Northern Ireland)

Who can apply for a new EHIC

Some people can apply for a new UK EHIC that they can use in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, as well as in EU countries.

People who can apply for the new card include:

  • nationals from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland who started living in the UK before 1 January 2021, and their families
  • some British State Pensioners who started living in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before 1 January 2021, and their families
  • UK students who started living and studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before 1 January 2021

Find out how to apply for a new EHIC on the NHS website.

An EHIC or GHIC covers state healthcare, not private treatment. With an EHIC or GHIC you can get emergency or necessary medical care for the same cost as a resident in the country you're visiting. This means that you can get healthcare at a reduced cost or for free.